Become a Queen’s Nurse
Promoting the highest standards of patient care in the community.
This year we have two application windows, the first one from January to February 2020 and the second from May to June 2020.
In order to apply you first need to register for a URN (Unique Reference Number). Please note, we are not issuing any more URNs at this stage. If you missed the January URN deadline, please consider applying in May instead. We will only accept applications with a valid 2020 URN. Applications without a URN will not be accepted and older URNs cannot be used.
General criteria required to apply for the Queen’s Nurse title:
- Currently registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (please make sure your NMC record is up to date)
- Minimum of working five years in a community or primary care setting
- Currently working in England, Wales or Northern Ireland with people in their own homes or other community-based settings
- Have had the same direct line manager for a minimum of one year
- Must not be under investigation by the NMC
- Must not be under investigation by your employing organisation
- Must not be the subject of any disciplinary proceedings
The application process:
- Read the guidance and frequently asked questions (download below).
- Request your Unique Reference Number (URN). Your next opportunity to request one will be in May.
- Complete the Queen’s Nurse Application Form.
- Request evidence in support of your application from your line manager (Manager’s Contribution Form below).
- Request evidence in support of your application from your patient/client/colleague/student (depending on your current role) from two people (Patient/Client’s Contribution Form below).
- Ensure all the completed forms, including contributors’ forms, are returned to us by 5 pm on Friday 14th February 2020.
Please note, we are not issuing any more URNs at this stage. If you missed the January deadline to register for a URN, please consider applying in May instead. We will only accept applications with a valid 2020 URN. Older URNs cannot be used.
The final deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday 14th February 2020. All completed forms, including contributors’ forms, must be returned to us by this date. Documents received after this date/time will not be considered.
The May to June application window will be advised on the website in due course.