Community Nursing Practice Teacher Standards
Since the withdrawal of NMC Community Nursing Practice Teacher Standards, the Practice Teacher qualification has ceased to be offered by many Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in the United Kingdom.
The QNI has received significant feedback from healthcare provider organisations that they urgently require a replacement qualification in order to support learning and practice in the community setting.
The QNI therefore intends to publish new Practice Teacher Standards in 2022 to support any HEI in the UK that wishes to develop a new programme.
The consistent themes from the provider organisations’ feedback we have received are:
- Practice Teacher skills continue to be required for teaching SPQ and SCPHN students in practice
- The Practice Teacher role has a wider remit for developing the learning environment, including pre-registration student placements
- Practice Teachers are diminishing in number due to retirement
- Support for SPQ and SCPHN students and the wider teaching and learning environment will not be sufficient to meet continuing needs
- The experience of SPQ and SCPHN students is less positive where they have not been supported by a Practice Teacher.
Many service providers have expressed surprise that Practice Teacher standards were withdrawn by the NMC and were unaware this had happened until programmes were closed by Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). Health Education England no longer commissions Practice Teacher programmes, so central funding is currently not available in England.
In order to understand the situation more fully, the QNI is undertaking two surveys. We would greatly appreciate if you could complete and share the surveys with your colleagues:
- A survey for Practice Teachers: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/K6HYCX2
- A survey for educators in Higher Education Institutions: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8J9QVJX
The questionnaire should take 5-10 minutes.
The data gathered from the surveys will be used to inform the development of the QNI’s new Practice Teacher Standards, due to be published in 2022.
The surveys are open to all Practice Teachers and HEIs in the UK and the closing date is 31 October 2021.