The Hastings Homeless Service carries out a wide range of community health work.
The model gives homeless and vulnerably housed clients dignity, respect and holistic care, with the aim of building self-worth, self-belief, and empowerment to make positive changes to their lives, with the support of partner agencies. Hastings Homeless Service help clients to register with surgeries and accompany them to GP appointments as needed. The clinics allow health professionals to deal with presenting health issues while giving clients time to talk and be heard.
What the Hastings Homeless Service can do:
- Administer first aid
- Treat wounds and change dressings
- Discuss current health concerns
- Specialised foot care with a podiatrist
- Make referrals to other services related to health and housing
- Give support and listen
- Carry out health assessments
- Prescribe medication for minor ailments, wounds and infections
- Offer pregnancy testing
- Give flu jabs in winter
- Provide socks, space blankets and sun cream
- Give stop smoking support